Belgian Waffle Beginner Clinic. San Diego
The Belgian Waffle Ride (BWR) is both an immensely popular and enormously fun cycling adventure and a race. Adventure really is the best term because the course is ridiculously difficult and it seems like you never have the “perfect” bike. At some point in the day you become one with the grueling parcours and realize it’s a life-fulfilling experience. It will be a story to tell family and friends. Well… not for everyone. According to BWR founder Michael Marckx, “40% of the racers don’t complete the event because it’s too hard and they’re not ready.”
Since the last running of the BWR, many, many new-comers have purchased a new bike or have become increasingly gravel-curious. You want to know what to expect at the BWR, gravel, and the mixed surface events. Enter the BWR Survival Day presented by Source Endurance. We have a cadre of coaches and instructors who have experience on the gnarly stuff AND have experience teaching others how to handle the gnarly stuff of BWR since 2016. At this skills and drills clinic you'll learn how to drive a bike on the sketchy stuff well enough to maintain composure so you can contemplate what sort of finish line celebration you want to execute. You will learn the skills necessary to not be that 40% who don't finish.
What sort of athlete is best suited for this Clinic?
This clinic is geared towards athletes of all fitness levels who feel like they could benefit from a focused skills session with some of the best teachers in the area. Fitness can fix a lot of problems but skills can keep you out of trouble and get you and your bike to the finish line in one piece. If you're a beginner or an experienced road rider looking to hone those off-road skills this clinic will help you.
This clinic is best paired with an official BWR Training Plan by Source Endurance. View our wide selection of BWR Training Plan offerings here.
What to Expect
- Ride with Source Endurance coaches Adam Mills and Nikki Peterson, along with BWR promoters Phil Tinstman and Shelby Reynolds
- IRC Tire led tire workshop
- Wrench House led "get your bike to the next aid station" workshop
- Tactics workshops: You will learn how to make good decisions during the BWR
- Nutrition and hydration products by Hammer
- Training and Strategy Presentation
- Skills talk and section breakdown
- Q & A with Coaches and Instructors
- New lifelong friends
- Wrench House talk about gravel bike maintenance
- Giveaways and prizes
- Coach led guidance to help you learn to properly rodeo your bike!
- Exclusive access to product discounts from camp partners
- 7:45a-8:15a: Check-in
- 8:16-8:29am: Introductions
- 830am-11:00am: Skills and drills
- 11:00am-11:30am: Games and contests (with prizes!)
- 11:30-1145am: Q/A
- 11:45am: Class dismissed!